maxineofarc

Miss of Arc

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)

Unholy Ghosts - Stacia Kane I've been off urban fantasy for some time, and this was the book I chose to come back to it. I'd read some intriguing things about this series, but I wasn't prepared for just how much this book was going to grab me. The worldbuilding here is intense, and handed out in just the right bits and pieces; immersive from the start and opening up further and deeper as the book continues. This multilayered society comes through in speech patterns and clothes as much as in geography and money.But what really grabbed me here is the main character. Chess is an unusual viewpoint character- she's deeply flawed in a very real way, drug addicted and emotionally scarred. Her interactions with the people around her, especially the men who would like to be the man in her life, are as clear and understandable as they are heartbreaking. I haven't been this emotionally invested in a character's emotional arc in a long time, and I bought book 2 pretty much the second I finished book 1.