maxineofarc

Miss of Arc

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)

Fool Moon - Jim Butcher It truly pains me to write this, but I fear I liked the second volume of the Dresden Files less than the first, and I didn't like the first very much. I really wanted to give this series a chance to see what all the fuss is about, but based on the first two, I'm inclined to stop here or else skip ahead a few (which a friend insists I cannot do).Dresden may consider his attitude toward women chivalrous, but I found it chauvinistic. His focus on protecting women is misguided, and I get the feeling he's never really going to realize that no matter how many of them he ends up putting in harm's way in the name of protecting them, or no matter how many of them repeatedly demonstrate they're capable on their own. If I hadn't been reading on an e-reader, I think I might have thrown the book at the wall the 39th time Dresden calls Murphy cute. (And what is the fixation on her cute earlobes?) The women in this book could probably be strong, interesting characters if they were fleshed out, but Dresden's viewpoint makes that difficult. By the end of the book, I was in full agreement with Murphy when she called him a pompous, arrogant, old-fashioned chauvinist.I mentioned in my review of book 1 that I thought Butcher was good with his action scenes, keeping up the pace without letting the scene bog down in prose. I still think that, but with reservations. The entire second half of Fool Moon is essentially one protracted action sequence that would make a great movie probably somewhere containing Tommy Lee Jones, but I grew weary of reading the almost unrelieved fight scenes.I think it's time for me to step back from the Dresden Files, as I'm currently finding the hero infuriating and not in a lovable way. If I can figure out where people say it "gets good" (opinions seem to vary), I may skip ahead and try one more, but I'm feeling leery.